Bakersfield DUI Defense Attorney
The harsh DUI penalties in California are intended to deter anyone from driving under the influence. These penalties vary depending not only on the type of DUI offense you are charged with, but are often dependent upon who you choose as your Baskersfield DUI defense attorney. If convicted, the first DUI offense is classified as a misdemeanor. Even a first time offense conviction can carry harsh penalties, including jail time and expensive fines. When you are facing any kind of DUI charge, it is crucial that you contact a Bakersfield DUI defense attorney as soon as possible after the arrest. If convicted, you face the following penalties:
- First Offense: Even if probation is granted, you will need to attend a substance abuse program, may spend up to six months in jail, may have your license suspended or restricted and may be forced to pay certain penalties. You may also have your vehicle impounded for up to half a year and have an ignition interlock device installed.
- Second Offense: If you are convicted of a second DUI within ten years, you may be facing a mandatory alcohol or drug program, up to $1,000 in fines, a year in jail, an ignition interlock device for up to three years and possible license restrictions.
- Third Offense: A third offense within ten years will result in up to one year in jail, a three year license revocation, an 18 month drug or alcohol program and other potential penalties and fines.
- Fourth or Subsequent Offense: For a fourth offense, you could be facing up to three years in jail, felony charges, thousands of dollars in fines, a four year license revocation and rehabilitation program.
If you are convicted of a DUI that result in injury you could face:
- 3 years in a state prison
- An additional 1 year in prison for each additional person injured
- 3 additional years if anyone is severely injured
If you are convicted of vehicular manslaughter you could face:
- 4 years in a state prison
- If a multiple DUI offender, up to 10 years in a state prison
There are further “enhanced” penalties for extremely high blood alcohol concentration levels of .15% or above, for having a child under 14 years of age in the car, for refusing the breathalyzer test, or if you are on probation for an earlier DUI conviction.
Effective DUI Defense
Many attorneys will be willing to defend you in a DUI charge. The question you must ask yourself is: what are the qualifications and experience that an attorney is providing to me? At Brehmer Law, our attorneys have all trained extensively in DUI defense. Over the years, our firm has developed powerful strategies and unique resources for DUI defense. We approach each case with determination to aggressively fight for you. This means reviewing and analyzing each case to the smallest detail. If further investigation is necessary, an independent toxicologist or other investigator may be consulted and used to support the defense.
Mr. Brehmer has tried over 150 DUI trials and we are members of the National College of DUI Defense and the California DUI Lawyers Association. We attend virtually every educational opportunity in California and around the country on DUI Defense.
If you are facing DUI charges in Bakersfield, contact our DUI defense team. We will review your case thoroughly and develop the best strategies to prepare the most effective defense possible for you.
Contact a Bakersfield DUI Defense Attorney from Brehmer Law when seeking exceptional legal counsel to defend you on any DUI charge.