California DUI Penalties
Helping You Fight to Avoid the Penalties of a DUI Conviction
The harsh California DUI penalties are intended to prevent drunk driving. These penalties vary based on your specific DUI offense and may be reduced based on the Bakersfield DUI defense attorney you choose to represent your case.
Is a DUI a Misdemeanor or a Felony in California?
A first-time DUI offense is classified as a misdemeanor. Even a first-time offense conviction can carry jail time and high fines. When you are facing any kind of DUI charge, it is crucial that you contact Brehmer Law Corporation as soon as possible after the arrest.
Contact Brehmer Law Corporation today for your free consultation! Learn more about California DUI penalties.
What are the Penalties for a First-Time DUI Conviction in California?
A first offense DWI/DUI is typically charged with 3 - 5 years of probation. Mandatory participation in a substance abuse program, such as Alcoholics Anonymous, a jail sentence of up to six months, license suspension, and high fines ranging from $390.00 to $1000.00. Your car may be impounded, and you may be forced to install an ignition interlock device (IID) to be able to drive.
What are the Penalties for Multiple DUI Convictions in California?
- Second: A second DUI within 10 years of your first offense, may result in mandatory treatment, $2,018 paid in fines, a year in jail, restrictions on your license, and three-year IID installation.
- Third: If convicted within 10 years of the original offense, you face a year of jail time, license revocation for up to 3 years, mandatory alcohol or drug counseling for up to 18 months, and high fines.
- Fourth: Any subsequent offense could mean up to three years of jail or prison time, a felony on your record, thousands in fines, and license revocation for four years.
Our DUI Lawyer is Here to Help
There are many lawyers to defend you and choosing the right counsel is important. At Brehmer Law Corporation, our lawyer focuses on DUI defense in Bakersfield. We have developed powerful strategies and resources for your defense and approach each case determined to aggressively fight for you.
This means analyzing each case and every detail. Mr. Brehmer is:
- A sustaining member of the National College of DUI Defense
- An Officer of the National DUI Defense Lawyers Association
- A repeat lecturer for the California DUI Lawyers Association
- Has presented at nearly every major legal and scientific-educational seminar throughout the United States
Are you facing a DUI charge? Call Brehmer Law Corporation today at (661) 430-0868 or contact us online to start your defense and learn more about California DUI penalties.